Tuesday, January 5, 2010

This world needs more poetry!




Sharing my own poetry, would be awfully daring for my second blog, even though I don't think anyone will ever read this blog...except for maybe my new friend Sarah, who lives in a little town in Ohio. We met over the internet, when she bought one of my framed prints, which I am really thrilled about by the way! I am going to also try to force a few select people to read this..and hopefully comment...Although I, for one, cannot figure out how to post comments on these blogs...do you have to be a rocket scientist? or have some sort of password, provided at birth by the CIA? Whatever, I am not going to attempt to even hide my ignorance, because it will become very apparent...very soon.

I read a wonderful poem today...and I am going to copy it in here...and if anyone else wants to write poetry or anything feel free....or just read it quietly...in your little room and take it to heart.

One of my new year's resolutions is to bring more poetry into my life...and perhaps the world...or to one or two people (or animals)...more poetry Less Politics..is one of my new sayings....

This poem is by Edward Hirsch
it is about the painter Georgia O'Keefe (in Canyon, Texas in 1917)


She was just a schoolteacher then
Walking away from the town
in the late afternoon sunset.
A young woman in love
with a treeless place,
The scattered windmills and pounding winds
of the whole prairie sliding toward dusk,
Something unfenced and wild
about the world without roads,
Miles and miles of land
rolling like waves into nowhere,
The light settling down in the open country.

She had nothing to do but walk away
From the churches and banks, the college buildings
of Knowledge, the filling stations
of the habitable world,
And then she was alone
with what she believed--
The shuddering irridescence of heat lightning,
Cattle moving like black lace in the distance,
Wildflowers growing out of bleached skulls,
The searing oranges and yellows of the evening star,
Rising in daylight,
commanding the empty spaces.

(edward hirsch 1950- )

Is that so beautiful? Can you see it, feel it and taste it? I read a wonderful quote by Emily Dickenson if I can find it...


here it is:

"If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire even can warm me, I know that is poetry. If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry." (emily dickenson in a letter to a friend)

well, that is all I have to share today ..it is another cold gloom drizzly gray day and this poetry keeps me warm....maybe soon, one of my followers will post a poem if they can figure it out..and I may too!

I am also going to use a photo to decorate this page....

2 comments:

  1. Love Emily Dickinson! One of my favorites~

    "I'm Nobody! Who Are You?"
    I'm nobody! Who are you?
    Are you nobody, too?
    Then there's a pair of us — don't tell!
    They'd banish us, you know.
    How dreary to be somebody!
    How public, like a frog
    To tell your name the livelong day
    To an admiring bog!

    Also came across a quote I really like:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. ~Anais Nin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah! You truly are a kindred spirit!!! Oh, Anais Nin, one of my favorites too! I would call her diaries my first "mentors".

    ReplyDelete